A comprehensive analysis of Australian 500 student visas

Students who want to study in Australia must apply for a 500 student visa which can be directly applied online without mailing materials. The whole visa application process is greatly simplified and more efficient.

(Picture from The University of Sydney)

The advantages of student visa:

  • participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia
  • as a temporary measure, you can work unlimited hours in any sector. 

Noted: Updated to February 2022, the government temporary relaxes student visa work limits to all sectors of the economy. That means international students are allowed to work before their course commences and work more than 40 hours a fortnight in any sector. For more information please visit https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/student-500/temporary-relaxation-of-working-hours-for-student-visa-holders

The Length of stay:

This is a temporary visa to study up to 5 years. The type of course and its length will determine the length of stay.

If you want to continue staying in Australia, you must apply for new visas.

  1. If your Student visa will expire before your graduation you might be eligible for a 600 Visitor visa. You will need a letter from your education provider with the date of your graduation.
  2. If you hold or held a student visa and completed specific qualifications in Australia in the last six months, you might be eligible for a 485 Temporary Graduate visa.
  3. If you are a recent engineering graduate of a recognized institution you might be eligible for the 476 Skilled Recognition Graduate visa.

(Information from Student visa, Australian Government Department of Home Affairs)


According to the details of 500 student visa listed on Australian Government website, applicants must meet following requirements:

  • Be a certain age (school student)

If you are a school student (but not participating in a secondary school student exchange program), you must be aged 6 or older to apply for this visa.

  • Be enrolled in a course of study and provide evidence

You must include evidence of enrolment in study with your student visa application, or your application will not be valid and can’t be processed. For example, you must provide a Confirmation of Enrolment or packaged courses CoEs that prove you are enrolled in a full time course registered on the CRICOS.

  • Make welfare arrangements if you are under 18 years

  • Meet English language requirements

You might need to provide evidence of your English language skills at the time you submit your visa application. 

Recognised English language tests: IELTS/TOFEL internet-based test/Cambridge English Advanced/PTE/Occupational English Test.

  • Have adequate health insurance

  • Have this visa if applying while in Australia

  • Have enough money for your stay

You must have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia. 

  • Be a genuine temporary entrant

You must be a genuine temporary entrant and intend to return home after studying in Australia.

  • Meet our character requirement

  • Meet our health requirement

  • Sign the Australian values statement

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must read and sign an Australian values statement.

  • Have paid back your debt to the Australian Government

If you or any family members (including those who don’t apply for the visa with you) owe the Australian government money, you or they must have paid it back or arranged to pay it back.

  • Not have had a visa cancelled or a previous application refused

You might not be granted this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia. 

  • Best interests of the child

We might not grant this visa if it is not in the best interests of an applicant under 18.

resource from: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/student-500#Eligibility


More Posts