The Australian Government has introduced legislation of the Temporary graduate visa regulations:
1.COVID-19 Temporary Graduate replacement stream visa
The COVID-19 replacement stream is a replacement for the initial Temporary Graduate visa. It is only available for Temporary Graduate visa holders impacted by the Australian travel restrictions. This means, people who could not stay in Australia for the full period allowed by their previous Temporary Graduate visa.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- currently hold, or have held a Temporary Graduate visa that expired on or after 1 February 2020; and
- have been outside Australia at any time between 1 February 2020 and 15 December 2021.
Staying in Australia
Applicants will receive the full validity of their initial Temporary Graduate visa. This is determined by the level of their qualification.
The visa costs AUD1,680 for the primary visa applicant. There is also a charge for each family member who applies for the visa with them.
As successful applicants will be granted full validity, the full visa application charge will apply.
Whilst holding this visa
Applicants can live, study and work in Australia temporarily. They must find their own employment if we grant this visa. We are not responsible for arranging employment.
Applicants can include members of the family unit in their application when they apply. This includes family members that weren’t included in their original Temporary Graduate visa.
2. Visa extensions for COVID-19 affected Temporary Graduate visa holders
On 18 February 2022, certain eligible Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders will have their visas extended or enlivened to 30 September 2022. Visa holders eligible for an extension will be notified directly by the Department.
To be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa extension:
- visa holders must have held a Temporary Graduate visa on 15 December 2021
- the current visa expires before 30 September 2022
- the primary visa holder was in Australia at the time of the visa grant
- the primary visa holder has been outside Australia for any period between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021 (inclusive)
- the visa has not been canceled since 15 December 2021
- the holder has not been granted a further substantive visa since 15 December 2021.
To be eligible for visa enlivening:
- visa holders must have held a Temporary Graduate visa that visa expired between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021 inclusive
- the primary visa holder was in Australia at the time of the grant
- the primary holder of the visa has been outside Australia for any period between 1 February 2020 and 14 December 2021 inclusive
- the visa was not canceled
- the visa holder has not been granted a further substantive visa.
The visa extension is free and will occur automatically. You do not need to contact the Department.
The visa extension will include family members that were included in the original Temporary Graduate visa.
(Information from Australian Government, https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/temporary-graduate-485, November 2021)