The graduate work visa is a short-term work visa for students who want to accumulate work experience in Australia or continue their study or travel after completing two years of study in Australia. Some students who want to apply for immigration will also use the graduate work visa to complete PY vocational year course and NAATI translation course to gain immigration points.
Current work duration of Temporary Graduate visa
- Graduate Work stream
As of July 1, 2022, the requirement to “nominate occupation-related occupational assessment” will be temporarily lifted, with the temporary exemption for the 2022-2023 fiscal year.
This means that VET students do not require a vocational assessment. VET students who have completed a 2-year (92-week) Diploma or Advanced Diploma by 30 June 2023 will be able to apply for a 2-year 485GW workpass. You don’t have to consider whether the course you’re taking is one of the immigration majors on the MLTSSL list.
- Post-Study Work stream
At present, Australia PSW graduate work visa policy is:
- Two years or above bachelor degree can get a two-year work permit;
- Two-year or above master’s degree holders can obtain a 3-year work visa;
- PhD graduates are eligible for a 4-year work permit.
If a student visa holder conducts online study abroad due to the COVID-19 travel restrictions, the overseas part of the study can be regarded as valid study in Australia for the purpose of applying for the PSW visa; Students who have already graduated and are unable to return to Australia due to COVID-19 can apply for a PSW visa outside Australia.
The new policy will modify the length of PSW
From 1 July 2023, international higher education graduates with eligible qualifications will be granted an extra two years of post-study work rights.
- Undergraduate degrees in designated majors will be extended from two to four years;
- Master’s degrees in designated subjects will be extended from three to five years;
- Doctorates in all disciplines will be extended from four to six years.
Designated majors mainly include: IT, engineering, education (including preschool education, secondary education, TESOL, etc.), nursing, medical related majors, psychology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, pharmacy, engineering cost, agricultural science, food science, biomedical and many other majors.
Subclass 485 Regional extension
After 2 years of full-time study in a remote area, one or two more years can be added to the 2-4 year PSW visa, depending on the remoteness of the area.
From January 20, 2021, 485 will officially accept renewal applications. The principal applicant must also meet the following requirements:
- Must be a remote area bachelor degree or above;
- You must hold 485 PSW visa when submitting your second visa application.
- Hold the first 485 period, must live in remote areas;
- The second visa application must be submitted in Australia.